The Romero Academy model represents a new chapter in Resurrection’s long, proud history. A chapter that will ensure the Resurrection name lasts another 100 years.
Romero Academy at Resurrection will form future saints and scholars by partnering with families to develop the intellect, form the character, and engage the faith of each student. Inspired by the life of St. Oscar Romero, Romero Academy at Resurrection graduates will develop the virtue, knowledge, and academic skills necessary to thrive in the city’s most selective college prep high schools and beyond. Following the words of St. Romero, our students “will aspire not to have more, but to be more.”
About our Patron
- Worked as a carpenter’s apprentice until the age of fourteen when he decided to become a priest
- Ordained in Rome in 1942 and for 35 years worked as pastor, administrator and journalist
- Became archbishop of San Salvador, where he saw that the people in power in his country were violent men and that the wealthy families supported this violent government
- Spoke out against the soldiers and the government who were attacking the poor. St. Romero believed that the church needed to work to change the government, because the government was going against the teachings of Jesus
- Assassinated as he celebrated Mass on March 24, 1980
- Like his Savior, he died poor, forgiving his murderers
- On February 3, 2015, Pope Francis authorized a decree recognizing Oscar Romero as a martyr for the faith. His beatification took place in San Salvador on May 23, 2015 and he was canonized on October 14, 2018
Why St. Oscar Romero?
- St. Oscar Romero is a modern example of the virtues we are trying to teach and a model.
- St. Romero provides an example for how we can courageously face the challenges of every-day life.
- In the face of hate, he preached love.
- In the face of struggle, he demonstrated perseverance.
- In the face of violence, he advocated for peace.
- His deep faith, commitment to service, and passion for justice add to the proud legacy of Resurrection School.